Tuesday, March 29, 2011

a FaMiLy ThAt RuNs ToGeThEr...

On March 1st I made a decision to get healthy, get fit, and get slimmer!

In February I started by making my meal portions smaller. It took me some time to make my stomach understand that it didn't really need all the food I was packing into it. Now I've actually shrunk my stomach and have a better understanding of how much I honestly need at each meal. Then I began to educate myself on the types of food I should be purchasing and bringing into our house. The kids struggled with this more than me, especially when they saw regular snack items leaving the cupboards for good. The only thing I struggled with and still am struggling with is the new grocery budget! Once I learned about good food I then incorporated exercise into my week. I began on the indoor bike making sure I gradually pushed myself with each workout. I started physically feeling better and found that I had more energy throughout the day. When the scale presented a new (lower) weight number I was thrilled by my efforts! I was becoming healthy and truly desired a new life style for me and my family. Each week the scale bounced back a new number showing me that I can do what I set out to do. As I felt fit, I felt a stronger desire to run again. Years ago when I was a teen girl I ran a lot. Soccer was my sport of choice and I played hard in my position as a half back. This position required a great deal of running and I become really good at getting up and down that field with ease and having the endurance to keep a steady pace the entire game. I loved it! So, given my young girl ability this mama of three in her 30's was up for the challenge. I was ready to run, so... I started running. I've concurred 2 miles so far using a simple pattern of walking to one telephone poll and then running to the next one. It feels great and even better when I push myself and run two polls! Now it’s become a family affair. Greg and I gather our three children, two dogs, and head out! It's an enjoyable time with my family, it's a challenge for all of us, and it feels GREAT! Last week Greg and I went out on our own early in the morning with the 2 dogs. I really push myself and felt very good about it too. The next day however, I felt great discomfort in my shins. This became worse; I realized then that I had shin splints, ouch! I've been taking it easy staying home and using the indoor bike again, though I'd rather be outside running. Soon, God willing, I'll be back out there!




This is just the beginning; I have many more pounds to go and many more pairs of shoes to go through. I'm ready, more ready and determined now than I've ever been. It's a life style change, a new beginning, a fresh start, and will be a true success story for me and the health of my growing family!

Dear God,
Thank you for shinning your light on the path of health. I'm sure that this has been your desire for me all along. God, you have given me a new energy, a new way to see the beauty you've created in me, and I love it. You have placed in me the determination to become healthy and run alongside my husband and children. Now, I look forward to summer days playing outside with my children, taking long bike rides, and eating with a purpose. Father, you have loved me since the day you built me in my mother’s whom, you know all about me. It's hard to believe that you care about all the things I care about, and find interest in me. I know that you care about this new life I desire to live for You, Greg, and the children. God, help me each day as I continue on this new path. Give me the strength I need each day to endure. I love you! I'm gonna pretty up this temple for You!

In Jesus' name, Amen

3 comments:

  1. Great job. It is hard to start, but it's even harder to keep going. My favorite verse for getting in shape is Hebrews 12:11 "Any discipline sees painful at the time but later on it produces a harvest of righteousness for those who have been trained by it." You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are doing awesome! :) and looking great too! keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete