Monday, December 21, 2009

Today I wanted to Fall Apart, But God Strengthened Me


My very dear friend Kelly lost her home to a serious chimney fire on Sunday afternoon. I am thanking God that everyone is ok and no one was hurt. Most everything is gone! Kelly and her husband Adam have 6 children. Kelly has thanked God many times since last night that He allowed all of her children to live.
I spent time with Kelly this afternoon, God has given her amazing strength. Adam surprised me with his strength. Though I don't understand why this has happened, I do believe that there is a purpose far beyond what I can imagine.

Today I arrived at Kelly's house around 12:30 pm. I wanted to be there for her, I felt lead to stand beside her. There were a few neighbors helping were they could when I drove up, but what I couldn't help noticing most was Kelly's house. It was overwhelming, my emotions went haywire. I called my husband while I waited for Adam and Kelly to arrive, his voice settled me. I knew he'd be praying for me. I also called my Pastor for encouragement and prayer support as well. I was going to need it, I feared that I wouldn't be able to handle it all. I so desperately wanted to be strong for Kelly. Around 3:00 pm we entered Kel's home, I had never seen anything like it in all my life. I held Kelly's hand, she let go to put her hands over her mouth. We were both taken by the sight. As we walked up the basement stairs there was a distinct smell of charred wood, it became stronger as we reached the top of the stairs. I looked up noticing left behind trails of were flames had been. I then noticed there was hardly a ceiling and almost no roof, I could see the blue sky above me. As we stood quietly I could hear drops of water fall around me, some fell on my jacket sleeve making a ping sound. This just isn't real I thought. I'd been in the house many times before, but this time I couldn't recognize a thing. There was a thick layer of "stuff" on the floor all black and squishy under my feet. Kelly and I stood in what used to be her kitchen. I hugged for a moment not knowing what to say to her.
I will never forget today, nor will I forget the look in Kel's eyes as she rummaged through her home.
Adam, Kelly, and the kiddos are in need, if you feel lead by God to give to this family please let me know. Gift cards to Kohl's, Target, Wal-mart, Market basket, etc. seem most sensible at this time. I plan to continue to post new information as I get it. Most importantly though the family needs your prayer. Prayer for comfort, and prayer for peace.

Dear Father,
I do not understand why you allowed Adam and Kelly's house to burn, but Lord, I want you to know that I trust you with all of my heart. I feel that only good can come from this, good things have already happened. Lord, you are prompting many people to open their closets, drawers, wallets, and hearts. Father, I thank you for the grace you have poured out over Kelly, Adam and the children. Lord, I ask that Kelly call out to you asking YOU for help. I ask that Adam feel your presence and comfort. Lord, protect the children, they must have so many questions. Also God, please give Kelly the words she needs to help them understand all of this. Lord, I ask that you continue to press it upon the hearts of the people to give unselfishly, through gifts, money and love.

In Jesus' name, amen

1 comment: