Thursday, January 28, 2010

Signs, Signs, Everywhere are Signs


If you were to walk through my home you would see signs displayed in various rooms. I love that my children post signs that express their creative nature. Often Greg and I will receive a sealed envelope with a note carfully placed inside. Or we may even receive a delivery by one child that has been passed off to us by the other child.


This morning I was feeling on edge, annoyed with things, and tired. I let these feelings get the best of me when I barked at Caleb and Hannah about a messy table. I expressed inappropriately my displeasure with them for making such a mess, especially after I spent time the night before cleaning up a previous mess that they had created.


I shrugged this off and went about my chores, I hadn't even noticed that the house and my children had become strangely quit for fear of upsetting me again. As I sorted through stacks of paper on the counter Hannah nudged my arm. I turned to her, she delivered one of those notes I spoke of.


I gulped as I opened the note, I had a feeling it wouldn't be one of the cute ones I was used to getting. I was right. Caleb had Hannah deliver a letter of apology. My shoulders sank and I felt convicted once again by my wise son. "Why was he apologizing to me?" I asked myself when I was the one who should be writing the note to him. Oh how humbling it is to sit before my two young children and then ask them for their forgiveness. Easily they both said yes and we hugged one another and made amends. It's uplifting and joyful to let go of anger and allow forgiveness to fall in it's place.


Dear God,
Thank you for my creative natured children. Thank you for the messes they leave all over the house. Thank you for the 'signs' you leave that are glowing with a neon lights. Lord, thank you for my big piece of humble pie this morning. And thank you for granting me and my children the ability to forgive, truly forgive. Lord, will you forgive me for falling short again? I dislike myself when I speak to strongly to my children. Father, help me to remember your grace, help me to pass this grace onto my children.


In Jesus' name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment